Blackened seasoning is super delicious and so easy to make at home! It's a great pantry builder if you don't already have all these seasonings on hand, too. I've been messing around with this blackened seasoning recipe and trying to get it just right. I love it now, but I fully expect you to tweak it a little too! It's not overly spicy, so adding more cayenne will be great for heat-heads, and you might even want to omit a seasoning you're not crazy about.
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 4 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all of these in a container you can store the seasoning in - a small tupperware container or a tiny glass jar. I'm using an old jam jar. Then just shake until well combined. This blackened seasoning makes enough for a few uses - Fish or Chicken
This seasoning makes wonderful Fish or chicken - we made sandwiches, but it would also be excellent cut up on a salad. :D . If you omit the sugar it's great for roasting veggies too - especially potatoes.